In the process of searching files for hidden photos, my laptop got locked in tes mode or safe mode. Brought it to Microcenter Westbury, NY, to get out of that mode. Instead. the tech explained he'd "reimage" the device to original condition. Had no idea he'd remove current Windows 10, DESTROY existing accounts (2) AND revert to Windows 8. When I asked WHY, he explained the laptop was originally purchased with Windows 8 installed.

This resulted in the loss of BOTH accounts AND all photos. In response to my shock at this situation, he restored only MY account and begrudgingly added the 2nd user back;, however, any photos retrieved supposedly from the cloud were a garbled mix of my own AND the 2nd user's. When asked to separate these photos into their respective accounts, I was told it wasn't possible.

I basically paid over $200 to WRECK my laptop! I good naturedly went along with installation of their "recommended" security software, only to learn it removed and replaced my existing security.

I was also advised the DVD drive was "broken" and glad I declined the tech's offer to "repair" it, since there's a Windows 10 download available to install the software.

If they only spent more time fixing a SIMPLE problem, instead of looking to make more money off the situation, I'd have been Happy just to get the screen unlocked.

I later found that online help from Microsoft indeed FOUND the other user's photos. Yes - I got very ANGRY and am totally disgusted with Microcenter Westbury, NY. Very bad reflection on the entire company. I've done business with them in the past and don't care at all they say I'm no longer "welcome" in their store. Scammers!

This reviewer shared experience about "paid $250.00 to wreck a working laptop" and wants this business to issue a full refund as the author lost $250. This person is overall dissatisfied with Micro Center. Reviewer wants customer support to reach our to him or her ASAP for further discussion of this matter.

Also, you can continue reading comments about Micro Center.

Check out the best and the worst companies in Appliances and Electronics category for more informed decision or compare Micro Center to other companies on our site.

Comments

Hi there sir,

Since speaking with you yesterday, I'm glad we were able to come to a resolution on this for you. If I can be of any further assistance, please email me at custrel@microcenter.com.

Thanks,