Horrible service! My MacBook Pro's had a couple problems and the Apple Stores nearby all had a day or two wait for appointments, so I took it to Micro Center in Fairfax, VA.

Unfortunately that was a mistake. The technician who took my computer didn't seem to understand the issue, and I had to spend 10 minutes explaining it. Finally, they took it for repair. Unlike the Apple Store, where a "Genius" will take it to the back and open it up and diagnose it during your appointment, Micro Center said it would be a day or two.

I received a call the next day. They said they wouldn't diagnose the problem because there was "accident damage." What accident damage I asked, as there had been no accident. Well, there was dust and hair inside by the air intakes. That's not an accident, I calmly explained, that's normal usage.

When the fan runs, it draws in air -- if there is dust in the air (and a dog in the house), that comes in too. That's normal. Then he said there was liquid inside. Liquid inside, I asked?

Was the inside wet? No, he said, but there was dirt. Dirt. Dirt is not a liquid, I noted.

And you already said there was dust. Nope, they refused to do any work on it. I called back and asked to speak with the manager. I was told he was on the floor and would call me back with in the hour.

An hour passed. Then two. After nearly three hours I called the manager myself. I believe his name is Jeff H.

He was extremely rude and dismissive. I told him that what the service tech said didn't make any sense. He condescendingly explained to me that manufacturers have indicators inside that change color when there is water damage. Had these indicators changed color, I asked?

Well, um, hum, well, it was dirty inside, he stammered. I told him to reopen it and look inside. Sure enough, the indicators did not show water damage (as there was none). But there was dust.

(Duh!) I had him send me a picture and sure enough there was dust. It looked like dust. The stuff that's in the air and gets sucked into electronics through the fan intakes through normal usage. Well, he said, there was some "crusting" that you can't see in the picture.

Invisible crusting huh? How strange! And yet, despite there being no sign of accidental damage, he still refused to fix it or even diagnose it! He said the dust, was a "bio-hazard" and he would not allow his technicians to blow it out.

What a total crock of John Bull!!! When I got there to pick up my computer, another manager thanked me for my business. HA! I laughed in his face and said they have lost my business and told him what had transpired.

He stiffly said he was "sorry for my inconvenience." I said, "and therefore you are going to do what?" He looked at me blankly. "Well, you said you are sorry I was inconvenienced, but what are you going to do about it." He and the associate huffed and puffed a bit, then went looking for a manager who could not be found. I took it home and opened it up myself. Yes, there was dust consistent with normal use.

No, there was no "crusting." No there was no liquid damage. So I spend an hour round trip two times (drop off and pickup) three hours waiting for a returned phone call and got nothing but lies from an arrogant manager.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I didn't like: Being lied to by an arrogant manager.

Comments

MCcustrel
Micro Center Verified Representative

Hello,

We are very sorry to hear about your negative experience, we would like to look into this issue so we can understand what happened. Could you please email us with a copy of this review and your contact information to custrel@microcenter.com?

zaret
to MCcustrel #1420536

A month has passed since I sent you this review. You said you would get to the bottom of it after Christmas. And yet, nothing.